Monday, August 11, 2008

Meant To Be A Joke

We talked at length earlier today about racism, specifically in regards to the Chinese and their hosting of the Olympics. Coincidentally, while we were knee-deep in this conversation, this charming little gem appeared in my inbox at work, courtesy of a co-worker:

FREE TICKETS AND ALL EXPENSES PAID INCLUDING AIR FARE TO THE 2008 OLYMPIC GAMES IN BEIJING, CHINA

To participate is easy - just view the attached photo, correctly answer the following questions and send in your answers.

1. Which student seems to appear tired / sleepy?
2. Which ones are male twins?
3. Which ones are the female twins?
4. How many women are in the group?
5. Which one is the teacher?
6. Which two just finished a joint?


I guess you're not going either !
To which I tersely replied:

hey betty*

i found this "joke" racist and offensive. please do me a favor and don't forward any more of these emails.

thanks so much,

deeky

cc: Manager, Department Head
I don't have anything brilliant to say here, partly because it should be obvious to anyone with half a brain how offensive this "joke" really is (that it throws sexism in there on top of the racism is just a bonus), and partly because other posters and commentors here have already put it in words far more eloquently than I have or even could. But it is painfully clear to me, no great revelation this, that we've a long way to go before we can say racism is no longer an issue in this country. Anyone who doesn't believe that can come clean out my inbox for me.

* Name changed to protect the guilty.

No comments:

Post a Comment